Although we don’t believe in timing the market or panicking over market movements, we do like to keep an eye on big changes — just in case they’re material to our investing thesis.
What: Shares of renewable energy company Covanta (NYSE: CVA ) are popping by 10% following its better-than-expected fourth-quarter results.
So what: With no shortage of waste, Covanta, which specializes in transforming waste into renewable forms of energy, reported a profit of $ 0.26 (excluding one-time items) on sales of $ 430 million. Wall Street had been looking for a profit of $ 0.23 on sales of $ 418 million. Even better, Covanta’s 2012 EPS forecast ticked in slightly higher than the median consensus estimate ($ 0.55 to $ 0.65 versus $ 0.59).
Now what: It’s a dirty business, but someone has to do it — and Covanta is doing it well. Service fee revenue, as well as recycled metal and waste volume were up significantly during the fourth quarter. Covanta isn’t going to surprise you with triple-digit growth, but this is another company whose business model is founded on sustainable growth and a seemingly endless pile of waste. I wouldn’t consider the stock cheap at these levels, but it definitely has a good shot to be a winner over the long term.
Craving more input? Start by adding Covanta to your free and personalized watchlist so you can keep up on the latest news with the company.
From our Blog
- Why You Need a Dumpster September 21, 2016
- Neighborhood Togetherness Matters & Clean Up Does, Too September 19, 2016
- What Waste Should You Recycle And Throw In The Trash? August 3, 2016
- Dumpster Rentals for Business Owners August 1, 2016
- Picking a Dumpster for Your Next Roofing Project July 19, 2016
- Consequences of Illegal Dumping and Littering July 13, 2016
- How To Dispose Of Debris? June 14, 2016
- When Is A Good Time To Clean Out Your Waste? June 13, 2016
- How to Dispose of Construction Waste May 2, 2016
- Why You Should Share Rental Dumpsters With Your Neighbors April 29, 2016
2011 2012 Announces best Call Clean Company Conference Connections Covanta diving dumpster dumpsters Energy Ewaste Garb garbage Harbors Holding Identity Inc. Industry Landfill Management Plant power Present Progressive Recycling Release Rental Reports Republic Second Services Solutions Stericycle stock Third TRASH TriTech Veolia Waste yard Year
- Dumpster Diving for Gourmet Pig Feed – Novella Carpenter July 10, 2011
- A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC September 17, 2011
- MythBusters – Dumpster Diving Trailer July 16, 2011
- Kris Kemp: Dumpster Diver August 21, 2011
- What should happen after my character gets beat up? June 6, 2011
- Frugal TV – Dumpster Diving for Coupons June 11, 2011
- Dumpster Dive (Director Commentary) September 24, 2011
- Dumpster Divers Spark Palin Probe September 11, 2011
- Auburn-Placer 1 yard dumpster June 8, 2011
- Can Opener? We don’t need no stinking can opener! June 19, 2011