More upgrades needed at Harrisburg, Pa., WTE plant
Feb. 21 — In order to be at peak operating performance, an estimated $ 5 million to $ 10 million in additional capital investment is needed for the Harrisburg (Pa.) Resource Recovery Facility before it can be sold to the highest bidder.
Upgrades include the eight-stage turbine blade that allows the facility to generate more electricity, WHTM-TV Channel 27 in Harrisburg reported.
“Those things are definitely going to happen, and all of them add some level of value, if not potentially additional revenue to the deal,” Marc Kurowski, chairman of the Harrisburg Authority, told the news station. “So, I think they are important to get the right value for the plant.”
Last week, the TV station said, nine companies entered into the bidding process. The Harrisburg Authority will decide on March 5 which are qualified to make a bid.
The Harrisburg waste-to-energy plant has been a money pit in the city since it was built in 1972, with the biggest chunk of investment coming when the city spent $ 125 million to rebuild it in 2003.
Contact Waste & Recycling News reporter Shawn Wright at [email protected] or 313-446-0346.
This Year’s Most Popular Stories
From our Blog
- Why You Need a Dumpster September 21, 2016
- Neighborhood Togetherness Matters & Clean Up Does, Too September 19, 2016
- What Waste Should You Recycle And Throw In The Trash? August 3, 2016
- Dumpster Rentals for Business Owners August 1, 2016
- Picking a Dumpster for Your Next Roofing Project July 19, 2016
- Consequences of Illegal Dumping and Littering July 13, 2016
- How To Dispose Of Debris? June 14, 2016
- When Is A Good Time To Clean Out Your Waste? June 13, 2016
- How to Dispose of Construction Waste May 2, 2016
- Why You Should Share Rental Dumpsters With Your Neighbors April 29, 2016
2011 2012 Announces best Call Clean Company Conference Connections Covanta diving dumpster dumpsters Energy Ewaste Garb garbage Harbors Holding Identity Inc. Industry Landfill Management Plant power Present Progressive Recycling Release Rental Reports Republic Second Services Solutions Stericycle stock Third TRASH TriTech Veolia Waste yard Year
- Dumpster Diving for Gourmet Pig Feed – Novella Carpenter July 10, 2011
- A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC September 17, 2011
- MythBusters – Dumpster Diving Trailer July 16, 2011
- Kris Kemp: Dumpster Diver August 21, 2011
- What should happen after my character gets beat up? June 6, 2011
- Frugal TV – Dumpster Diving for Coupons June 11, 2011
- Dumpster Dive (Director Commentary) September 24, 2011
- Dumpster Divers Spark Palin Probe September 11, 2011
- Can Opener? We don’t need no stinking can opener! June 19, 2011
- Auburn-Placer 1 yard dumpster June 8, 2011