New York City seeks proposals for WTE plant
March 7 — The Big Apple wants an alternative way to deal with its 10,000 tons of trash per day.
New York City is asking for proposals from private companies to build a pilot waste-to-energy (WTE) facility to handle a maximum of 450 tons of garbage per day, Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced in a March 6 news release. If the initial pilot is successful, capacity at the facility could be doubled.
“We are using the most comprehensive sustainability program in the nation to green our city, but we have to go further,” Mayor Michael Bloomberg said in a statement. “New Yorkers generate more than 10,000 tons of solid waste every day and too much of it ends up in landfills. Using less and recycling more are the most effective ways to address the problem, but this project will help us determine if some of that waste can be converted to safe, clean energy to meet the city’s growing power needs.”
The city said it is seeking only the cleanest and latest WTE technologies, which specifically excludes incineration or “mass burn” proposals.
The WTE facility will not receive any capital funding, but the city said it will pay a per-ton fee to the facility’s operator. The facility must be located in New York City or within 80 miles of it.
The project is part of PlaNYC, the city’s sustainability agenda.
Proposals to build and operate the facility are due by June 5.
Contact Waste & Recycling News reporter Shawn Wright at [email protected] or 313-446-0346.
This Year’s Most Popular Stories
From our Blog
- Why You Need a Dumpster September 21, 2016
- Neighborhood Togetherness Matters & Clean Up Does, Too September 19, 2016
- What Waste Should You Recycle And Throw In The Trash? August 3, 2016
- Dumpster Rentals for Business Owners August 1, 2016
- Picking a Dumpster for Your Next Roofing Project July 19, 2016
- Consequences of Illegal Dumping and Littering July 13, 2016
- How To Dispose Of Debris? June 14, 2016
- When Is A Good Time To Clean Out Your Waste? June 13, 2016
- How to Dispose of Construction Waste May 2, 2016
- Why You Should Share Rental Dumpsters With Your Neighbors April 29, 2016
2011 2012 Announces best Call Clean Company Conference Connections Covanta diving dumpster dumpsters Energy Ewaste Garb garbage Harbors Holding Identity Inc. Industry Landfill Management Plant power Present Progressive Recycling Release Rental Reports Republic Second Services Solutions Stericycle stock Third TRASH TriTech Veolia Waste yard Year
- Dumpster Diving for Gourmet Pig Feed – Novella Carpenter July 10, 2011
- A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC September 17, 2011
- MythBusters – Dumpster Diving Trailer July 16, 2011
- Kris Kemp: Dumpster Diver August 21, 2011
- What should happen after my character gets beat up? June 6, 2011
- Frugal TV – Dumpster Diving for Coupons June 11, 2011
- Dumpster Dive (Director Commentary) September 24, 2011
- Dumpster Divers Spark Palin Probe September 11, 2011
- Can Opener? We don’t need no stinking can opener! June 19, 2011
- Auburn-Placer 1 yard dumpster June 8, 2011