Covanta Holding Corp. (CVA), a developer of waste-to-energy plants, may be a takeover target as “persistent undervaluation” frustrates shareholders including Chairman Sam Zell, Paul Clegg, a New York-based analyst with Mizuho Securities USA Inc., said today in a note to clients.
Anticipated demand for waste-to-energy systems makes Covanta “an attractive package in our view,” Clegg said. He has a “buy” rating on the shares and a $ 20 price target.
Potential buyers could include large Asian or European conglomerates looking for an entry into U.S. renewable energy markets, or a rival firm in the trash-to-power industry such as Houston-based Waste Management Inc. (WM), Clegg said. Covanta has a market capitalization of almost $ 2.5 billion.
Zell, 69, has been chairman of Covanta since September, 2005 and holds about a 10 percent stake through his Chai Trust Company, making him the largest shareholder.
“Zell has shown some savvy in monetizing assets at the right time,” Clegg said in an interview. “Covanta’s got a unique portfolio of base-load renewable power plants that will be highly desirable as nuclear plants retire around the globe.” Base-load plants can run as needed, in contrast to intermittent energy sources such as wind and solar energy.
Covanta, based in Morristown, New Jersey, was up for a fifth day, gaining 21 cents, or 1.3 percent, to $ 16.70 at 12:49 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. They have declined 2.9 percent this year.
To contact the reporter on this story: Christopher Martin in New York at [email protected].
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Reed Landberg at [email protected].
From our Blog
- Why You Need a Dumpster September 21, 2016
- Neighborhood Togetherness Matters & Clean Up Does, Too September 19, 2016
- What Waste Should You Recycle And Throw In The Trash? August 3, 2016
- Dumpster Rentals for Business Owners August 1, 2016
- Picking a Dumpster for Your Next Roofing Project July 19, 2016
- Consequences of Illegal Dumping and Littering July 13, 2016
- How To Dispose Of Debris? June 14, 2016
- When Is A Good Time To Clean Out Your Waste? June 13, 2016
- How to Dispose of Construction Waste May 2, 2016
- Why You Should Share Rental Dumpsters With Your Neighbors April 29, 2016
2011 2012 Announces best Call Clean Company Conference Connections Covanta diving dumpster dumpsters Energy Ewaste Garb garbage Harbors Holding Identity Inc. Industry Landfill Management Plant power Present Progressive Recycling Release Rental Reports Republic Second Services Solutions Stericycle stock Third TRASH TriTech Veolia Waste yard Year
- Dumpster Diving for Gourmet Pig Feed – Novella Carpenter July 10, 2011
- A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC September 17, 2011
- MythBusters – Dumpster Diving Trailer July 16, 2011
- Kris Kemp: Dumpster Diver August 21, 2011
- What should happen after my character gets beat up? June 6, 2011
- Frugal TV – Dumpster Diving for Coupons June 11, 2011
- Dumpster Dive (Director Commentary) September 24, 2011
- Dumpster Divers Spark Palin Probe September 11, 2011
- Can Opener? We don’t need no stinking can opener! June 19, 2011
- Auburn-Placer 1 yard dumpster June 8, 2011