Administration Unveils Electronics Stewardship Strategy
Date: July 25, 2011
Source: News Room
The federal government will leverage its purchasing power to drive changes in electronics manufacturing and recycling and encourage more sustainable products and practices, according to a new report by an interagency taskforce. The National Strategy for Electronics Stewardship, announced July 20 by the EPA, the White House Council on Environmental Quality and the General Services Administration (GSA), is the result of interagency discussions spurred by a November directive from President Obama. The plan outlines four overarching goals covering the lifecycle of electronics and starting with building incentives for the design of greener electronics and ensuring that the federal government “leads by example,” increasing the safe and effective management and handling of used electronics domestically, and reducing the harm of exports of e-waste.
The strategy includes previously announced actions such as the EPA revising its regulations on discarded cathode ray tubes to enhance enforcement of its export restrictions. And it requires the federal government to use recyclers who have been certified by third-party programs such as Responsible Recyclers or E-Stewards when recycling used electronics and calls on more recyclers to obtain certification. It also includes the GSA removing products from its schedules program that lack Energy Star certification or Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool (EPEAT) registration.
However, administration officials say they are still working on the specifics of some of the plan’s actions, such as strengthening its language in its contracts about takeback requirements, etc.
Environmentalists, including the Electronic TakeBack Coalition, and the Basel Action Network, are criticizing the strategy for failing to ban the export of e-waste.
To view the report, please visit: www.epa.gov/osw/conserve/materials/ecycling/taskforce/docs/strategy.pdf.
From our Blog
- Why You Need a Dumpster September 21, 2016
- Neighborhood Togetherness Matters & Clean Up Does, Too September 19, 2016
- What Waste Should You Recycle And Throw In The Trash? August 3, 2016
- Dumpster Rentals for Business Owners August 1, 2016
- Picking a Dumpster for Your Next Roofing Project July 19, 2016
- Consequences of Illegal Dumping and Littering July 13, 2016
- How To Dispose Of Debris? June 14, 2016
- When Is A Good Time To Clean Out Your Waste? June 13, 2016
- How to Dispose of Construction Waste May 2, 2016
- Why You Should Share Rental Dumpsters With Your Neighbors April 29, 2016
2011 2012 Announces best Call Clean Company Conference Connections Covanta diving dumpster dumpsters Energy Ewaste Garb garbage Harbors Holding Identity Inc. Industry Landfill Management Plant power Present Progressive Recycling Release Rental Reports Republic Second Services Solutions Stericycle stock Third TRASH TriTech Veolia Waste yard Year
- Dumpster Diving for Gourmet Pig Feed – Novella Carpenter July 10, 2011
- A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC September 17, 2011
- MythBusters – Dumpster Diving Trailer July 16, 2011
- Kris Kemp: Dumpster Diver August 21, 2011
- What should happen after my character gets beat up? June 6, 2011
- Frugal TV – Dumpster Diving for Coupons June 11, 2011
- Dumpster Dive (Director Commentary) September 24, 2011
- Dumpster Divers Spark Palin Probe September 11, 2011
- Can Opener? We don’t need no stinking can opener! June 19, 2011
- Auburn-Placer 1 yard dumpster June 8, 2011