Nonprofit asks feds to stop WM-Oakleaf deal
* addthis_config is used to set global options.
* ‘services_exclude’ lists all services not to be
* shown in the drop down menus.
* UI API found here: http://www.addthis.com/help/client-api#configuration-ui
* Service List found here: http://www.addthis.com/services/list
Aug. 9 — A Madison, Wis.-based nonprofit organization is asking the Justice Department “to review and unwind” Waste Management Inc.´s $ 425 million purchase of Oakleaf Global Holdings, the nation´s largest waste broker.
The Center for a Competitive Waste Industry also asked that the Justice Department seek a temporary restraining order to seal Oakleaf´s confidential market data from Waste Management.
Peter Anderson, the center´s executive director, said the transaction “appears to have required pre-notification” through the federal Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act (HSR), covering mergers and acquisitions.
But Waste Management says differently.
“It is about whether the deal meets the HSR premerger notification process,” company spokeswoman Lynn Brown said. “This deal did not trigger the prefiling requirements; therefore, we were able to close the transaction immediately.
“The rules are very complex. We can´t disclose the structure of the deal due to confidentiality agreements. However, the DOJ is aware of this closed transaction.”
The center said that the “the waste industry is already too concentrated for free markets to flourish,” and it´s on a “mission to encourage competition in the waste industry.”
Anderson said in a letter to the Justice Department that “competition in the market for waste services by multi-location large national commercial customers will be significantly lessened by this acquisition for a considerable number of years.”
Contact Waste & Recycling News senior reporter Jim Johnson at email@example.com or 937-964-1289.
This Year’s Most Popular Stories
From our Blog
- 15 items That You Should Either Recycle Or Thrown In The Trash October 5, 2016
- What to Ask When Looking for a Waste Collection Provider October 3, 2016
- Why You Need a Dumpster September 21, 2016
- Neighborhood Togetherness Matters & Clean Up Does, Too September 19, 2016
- What Waste Should You Recycle And Throw In The Trash? August 3, 2016
- Dumpster Rentals for Business Owners August 1, 2016
- Picking a Dumpster for Your Next Roofing Project July 19, 2016
- Consequences of Illegal Dumping and Littering July 13, 2016
- How To Dispose Of Debris? June 14, 2016
- When Is A Good Time To Clean Out Your Waste? June 13, 2016
2011 2012 Announces best Call Clean Company Conference Connections Covanta diving dumpster dumpsters Energy Ewaste Garb garbage Harbors Holding Identity Inc. Industry Landfill Management Plant power Present Progressive Recycling Release Rental Reports Republic Second Services Solutions Stericycle stock Third TRASH TriTech Veolia Waste yard Year
- Dumpster Diving for Gourmet Pig Feed – Novella Carpenter July 10, 2011
- A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC September 17, 2011
- MythBusters – Dumpster Diving Trailer July 16, 2011
- Kris Kemp: Dumpster Diver August 21, 2011
- What should happen after my character gets beat up? June 6, 2011
- Frugal TV – Dumpster Diving for Coupons June 11, 2011
- Dumpster Dive (Director Commentary) September 24, 2011
- Dumpster Divers Spark Palin Probe September 11, 2011
- Auburn-Placer 1 yard dumpster June 8, 2011
- Can Opener? We don’t need no stinking can opener! June 19, 2011