Waste Management Inc. (WM)’s acquisition of Oakleaf Global Holdings Inc. should be investigated by the U.S. Justice Department as the garbage-hauling industry continues to consolidate, said a group that favors stronger antitrust enforcement.
By buying Oakleaf, Waste Management will rid itself of a national competitor, wrote Bert Foer, president of the Washington-based American Antitrust Institute, in a letter to Acting Assistant Attorney General Sharis Pozen.
The $ 425 million purchase would leave two dominant companies, Houston-based Waste Management and Phoenix-based Republic Services Inc. (RSG), which could lead to higher prices, Foer said in the letter.
“The industry has now reached what should be seen as a code-red competitive condition because of the concentration of landfill ownership in the hands of WM and Republic,” he wrote.
Peter Anderson, executive director of the Center for a Competitive Waste Industry in Madison, Wisconsin, sent a letter Aug. 8 to Pozen also asking for an investigation. Foer serves on the center’s board of advisers.
On July 28, Waste Management said it would close the Oakleaf acquisition.
The transaction is structured in a way that doesn’t trigger a federal law requiring a pre-merger review of the acquisition by the Justice Department or the Federal Trade Commission, Lynn Brown, a Waste Management spokeswoman, said in an e-mail.
Brown said the Justice Department is aware of the transaction.
“We feel comfortable that this deal does not change the competitive landscape in the industry since we acquired no trucks, no transfer stations, no landfills,” she said.
Gina Talamona, a Justice Department spokeswoman, didn’t immediately response to a phone message seeking comment.
To contact the reporter on this story: Jeff Bliss in Washington at [email protected]
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Mark Silva at [email protected]
From our Blog
- Why You Need a Dumpster September 21, 2016
- Neighborhood Togetherness Matters & Clean Up Does, Too September 19, 2016
- What Waste Should You Recycle And Throw In The Trash? August 3, 2016
- Dumpster Rentals for Business Owners August 1, 2016
- Picking a Dumpster for Your Next Roofing Project July 19, 2016
- Consequences of Illegal Dumping and Littering July 13, 2016
- How To Dispose Of Debris? June 14, 2016
- When Is A Good Time To Clean Out Your Waste? June 13, 2016
- How to Dispose of Construction Waste May 2, 2016
- Why You Should Share Rental Dumpsters With Your Neighbors April 29, 2016
2011 2012 Announces best Call Clean Company Conference Connections Covanta diving dumpster dumpsters Energy Ewaste Garb garbage Harbors Holding Identity Inc. Industry Landfill Management Plant power Present Progressive Recycling Release Rental Reports Republic Second Services Solutions Stericycle stock Third TRASH TriTech Veolia Waste yard Year
- Dumpster Diving for Gourmet Pig Feed – Novella Carpenter July 10, 2011
- A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC September 17, 2011
- MythBusters – Dumpster Diving Trailer July 16, 2011
- Kris Kemp: Dumpster Diver August 21, 2011
- What should happen after my character gets beat up? June 6, 2011
- Frugal TV – Dumpster Diving for Coupons June 11, 2011
- Dumpster Dive (Director Commentary) September 24, 2011
- Dumpster Divers Spark Palin Probe September 11, 2011
- Can Opener? We don’t need no stinking can opener! June 19, 2011
- Auburn-Placer 1 yard dumpster June 8, 2011