“s” : “cvs,smed”,”k” : “a00,a50,b00,b60,c10,g00,h00,l10,p20,t10,v00″,”o” : “”,”j” : “”
Press Release Source: CVS/pharmacy On Tuesday August 16, 2011, 9:00 am EDT
WOONSOCKET, R.I., Aug. 16, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — CVS/pharmacy announced today that all 7,200 of its locations now offer the Sharps Compliance Corp.’s Environmental Return System, which provides customers with the ability to safely dispose of their unused, expired or unwanted drugs using affordable medication disposal envelopes.
The postage-paid envelopes cost $ 3.99 and allow customers to mail their unwanted prescription and over-the-counter medications through the U.S. Postal Service to a licensed, secure facility for safe destruction. Controlled substances are excluded from this program by law.
“CVS/pharmacy is committed to safe environmental practices as well as helping customers prevent misuse at home of their unused medications, so we are pleased to partner with Sharps Compliance to provide a secure and environmentally-safe solution in our pharmacies,” said Papatya Tankut, RPh, Vice President of Pharmacy Professional Services at CVS/pharmacy.
“Leftover and unused pharmaceuticals are a hazard for abuse and misuse particularly by young people,” said Senator Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI). “I applaud CVS and their partners for providing consumers with an easy avenue to safely dispose of unwanted medications.”
CVS/pharmacy’s launch of the TakeAway Environmental Return System is part of the Company’s on-going commitment to safe medication disposal solutions, including participation in local medication take-back events throughout the U.S. and supporting the DEA’s annual National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day. With an estimated 200 million pounds of unwanted medications being improperly disposed of every year, the availability of this envelope return system at CVS/pharmacy provides customers with a safe, convenient and affordable way to help protect the environment and their loved ones.
CVS/pharmacy, the retail division of CVS Caremark Corporation (NYSE:CVS – News), is America’s leading retail pharmacy with more than 7,200 CVS/pharmacy and Longs Drug stores. CVS/pharmacy is committed to improving the lives of those we serve by making innovative and high-quality health and pharmacy services safe, affordable and easy to access, both in its stores and online at CVS.com. General information about CVS/pharmacy and CVS Caremark is available at http://info.cvscaremark.com.
About Sharps Compliance Corp.
Headquartered in Houston, Texas, Sharps (NASDAQ:SMED – News) is a leading full-service provider of cost-effective management solutions for medical waste and unused dispensed medications generated outside the hospital and large healthcare facility setting. Its strategy is to capture a large part of the estimated $ 2.8 billion untapped market for unused medications, used syringes and medical waste generated outside of hospital and large healthcare settings by targeting the major agencies that are interrelated with this medical waste stream; that is the U.S. government, pharmaceutical manufacturers, home healthcare providers, retail pharmacies and clinics, and the professional market comprised of physicians, dentists and veterinary practices.
The Company’s flagship product, the Sharps® Recovery System™ is a comprehensive solution for the containment, transportation through the mail, treatment and tracking of medical waste generated outside the hospital and large health care facility setting. Its other products include the Sharps®MWMS™ (Medical Waste Management System), a comprehensive solution designed for rapid deployment in emergency situations and features the Sharps™ Recovery System™ and TakeAway System™ products combined with warehousing, inventory management, training, data and other services. Its TakeAway System™ is designed for individual consumers, retail or mail-order pharmacies, communities and facilities including assisted living, long-term care and correction operations to facilitate the proper disposal of unused dispensed medications.
More information on the Company and its products can be found on its website at: www.sharpsinc.com.
Follow Yahoo! Finance on ; become a fan on Facebook.
Yahoo! Finance: Waste Management Industry News
From our Blog
- Why You Need a Dumpster September 21, 2016
- Neighborhood Togetherness Matters & Clean Up Does, Too September 19, 2016
- What Waste Should You Recycle And Throw In The Trash? August 3, 2016
- Dumpster Rentals for Business Owners August 1, 2016
- Picking a Dumpster for Your Next Roofing Project July 19, 2016
- Consequences of Illegal Dumping and Littering July 13, 2016
- How To Dispose Of Debris? June 14, 2016
- When Is A Good Time To Clean Out Your Waste? June 13, 2016
- How to Dispose of Construction Waste May 2, 2016
- Why You Should Share Rental Dumpsters With Your Neighbors April 29, 2016
2011 2012 Announces best Call Clean Company Conference Connections Covanta diving dumpster dumpsters Energy Ewaste Garb garbage Harbors Holding Identity Inc. Industry Landfill Management Plant power Present Progressive Recycling Release Rental Reports Republic Second Services Solutions Stericycle stock Third TRASH TriTech Veolia Waste yard Year
- Dumpster Diving for Gourmet Pig Feed – Novella Carpenter July 10, 2011
- A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC September 17, 2011
- MythBusters – Dumpster Diving Trailer July 16, 2011
- Kris Kemp: Dumpster Diver August 21, 2011
- What should happen after my character gets beat up? June 6, 2011
- Frugal TV – Dumpster Diving for Coupons June 11, 2011
- Dumpster Dive (Director Commentary) September 24, 2011
- Dumpster Divers Spark Palin Probe September 11, 2011
- Auburn-Placer 1 yard dumpster June 8, 2011
- Can Opener? We don’t need no stinking can opener! June 19, 2011