MADRID—A merger of two Greek banks sent stocks in Athens soaring, while investors elsewhere in Europe were inspired by remarks from the head of the U.S. Federal Reserve on Friday.
The Stoxx Europe 600 index rose 1.2% to close Monday at 228.28, after closing up 1% last week, snapping a string of four weekly losses.
Markets in London were closed for a holiday.
The Athens General Index jumped 14% to 1006.59 after EFG Eurobank Ergasias and Alpha Bank, two of the country’s largest banks, announced a friendly merger deal. Eurobank shares climbed 29% and Alpha Bank soared 30%.
“In our view, this merger will herald a new era for the domestic market as it will constitute a key catalyst for a radical transformation of the Greek banking system, with a positive repercussion across the other Greek banks,” Maria Kanellopoulou, banking analyst at Euroxx Securities, said in a note to investors.
Among other Greek stocks, both Piraeus Bank and National Bank of Greece climbed 29%.
Enthusiasm for stocks was driven by Ben Bernanke’s comments in Wyoming that the Federal Open Market Committee would weigh options on monetary policy at the panel’s next meeting in September. Relief that damage from Hurricane Irene wasn’t as bad as feared also helped boost equities.
Also helping underpin the positive tone, U.S. data showed consumers spent more and saved less in July, while an industry trade group said the number of Americans signing contracts to purchase new homes declined last month. U.S. stocks were sharply higher as European markets closed.
“What we saw on Friday was a rather less negative view by Fed Chairman Bernanke on the U.S. economy, and that obviously fueled expectations that the fear of the possible recession has been appeased somewhat,” said Predrag Dukic, senior equity salesman at CM Capital Markets in Madrid.
He said last week’s announcement of the continuation of the short-selling ban in some European markets also helped the market move higher.
“A technical rebound was in the cards because we’ve dropped a lot in the last few months. August has been a terrible month,” he said. The Stoxx Europe 600 is down nearly 15% for the month.
Shares of adidas gained 3.7% as several retailers across Europe gained on the view that a recession in the U.S. was less likely.
The rally in Greek banks spilled over to Spain, where Banco Santander added 2.4%. The IBEX 35 index gained 2.5%. to 8395.00.
In the currency market, the euro traded recently at $ 1.4507, from $ 1.4499 late Friday in New York. The dollar was at ¥76.97, from ¥76.64.
Among commodities, crude-oil futures for September delivery was up $ 1.94, or 2.3%, at $ 87.31 on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Gold for August delivery was down $ 7.70, or 0.4%, at $ 1,786.40 on Nymex’s Comex division.
Write to Barbara Kollmeyer at [email protected]
From our Blog
- Why You Need a Dumpster September 21, 2016
- Neighborhood Togetherness Matters & Clean Up Does, Too September 19, 2016
- What Waste Should You Recycle And Throw In The Trash? August 3, 2016
- Dumpster Rentals for Business Owners August 1, 2016
- Picking a Dumpster for Your Next Roofing Project July 19, 2016
- Consequences of Illegal Dumping and Littering July 13, 2016
- How To Dispose Of Debris? June 14, 2016
- When Is A Good Time To Clean Out Your Waste? June 13, 2016
- How to Dispose of Construction Waste May 2, 2016
- Why You Should Share Rental Dumpsters With Your Neighbors April 29, 2016
2011 2012 Announces best Call Clean Company Conference Connections Covanta diving dumpster dumpsters Energy Ewaste Garb garbage Harbors Holding Identity Inc. Industry Landfill Management Plant power Present Progressive Recycling Release Rental Reports Republic Second Services Solutions Stericycle stock Third TRASH TriTech Veolia Waste yard Year
- Dumpster Diving for Gourmet Pig Feed – Novella Carpenter July 10, 2011
- A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC September 17, 2011
- MythBusters – Dumpster Diving Trailer July 16, 2011
- Kris Kemp: Dumpster Diver August 21, 2011
- What should happen after my character gets beat up? June 6, 2011
- Frugal TV – Dumpster Diving for Coupons June 11, 2011
- Dumpster Dive (Director Commentary) September 24, 2011
- Dumpster Divers Spark Palin Probe September 11, 2011
- Can Opener? We don’t need no stinking can opener! June 19, 2011
- Auburn-Placer 1 yard dumpster June 8, 2011