Tampa among nation´s worst greenhouse gas emitters
* addthis_config is used to set global options.
* ‘services_exclude’ lists all services not to be
* shown in the drop down menus.
* UI API found here: http://www.addthis.com/help/client-api#configuration-ui
* Service List found here: http://www.addthis.com/services/list
Aug. 31 — Greenhouse gas emissions in Tampa, Fla., are among the highest in the nation, according to the Tampa Tribune.
Community-wide, Tampa´s 8.9 million metric tons in 2009 surpassed Boston, which is two times larger by population, in greenhouse emissions by 1 million tons. Boston municipal governments also produced 63,410 fewer tons, according to the paper.
The Tribune´s analysis examined the output of the biggest climate change contributors — carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide.
Greenhouse gas sources include transportation, electricity, natural gas, landscaping and solid waste disposal.
Around 95% of Tampa´s output came from gasoline, coal and other fossil fuels used during energy production and transportation.
“That´s a shocking number,” said Christian Wells, an assistant professor of anthropology at the University of South Florida and director of the university´s Office of Sustainability. “I´m a bit surprised at the amount that the Tampa community, as a whole, is emitting.”
Contact Waste & Recycling News reporter Vince Bond Jr. at [email protected] or 313-446-1653.
This Year’s Most Popular Stories
From our Blog
- Why You Need a Dumpster September 21, 2016
- Neighborhood Togetherness Matters & Clean Up Does, Too September 19, 2016
- What Waste Should You Recycle And Throw In The Trash? August 3, 2016
- Dumpster Rentals for Business Owners August 1, 2016
- Picking a Dumpster for Your Next Roofing Project July 19, 2016
- Consequences of Illegal Dumping and Littering July 13, 2016
- How To Dispose Of Debris? June 14, 2016
- When Is A Good Time To Clean Out Your Waste? June 13, 2016
- How to Dispose of Construction Waste May 2, 2016
- Why You Should Share Rental Dumpsters With Your Neighbors April 29, 2016
2011 2012 Announces best Call Clean Company Conference Connections Covanta diving dumpster dumpsters Energy Ewaste Garb garbage Harbors Holding Identity Inc. Industry Landfill Management Plant power Present Progressive Recycling Release Rental Reports Republic Second Services Solutions Stericycle stock Third TRASH TriTech Veolia Waste yard Year
- Dumpster Diving for Gourmet Pig Feed – Novella Carpenter July 10, 2011
- A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC September 17, 2011
- MythBusters – Dumpster Diving Trailer July 16, 2011
- Kris Kemp: Dumpster Diver August 21, 2011
- What should happen after my character gets beat up? June 6, 2011
- Frugal TV – Dumpster Diving for Coupons June 11, 2011
- Dumpster Dive (Director Commentary) September 24, 2011
- Dumpster Divers Spark Palin Probe September 11, 2011
- Can Opener? We don’t need no stinking can opener! June 19, 2011
- Auburn-Placer 1 yard dumpster June 8, 2011