There are quite a few dividend catching techniques, and I have utilized many. In this article we will go over an upcoming dividend that I may capture with a minimum amount of risk. The criteria that I use is that I must be able to sell a call option in either the front or first back month that is in the money, and with enough premium that I will not mind getting exercised early (which happens often, and can be a good thing if the trades are executed correctly). This is one of my favorite and easy-to-understand methods of making gains through options and dividends. Although much of the gains will come from dividends, it should be noted that, in my experience, the option decay can provide a return. This is especially true in lower-yielding stocks.
Republic Services, Inc. (RSG)
- Yield: 3%
- Dividend Amount: $ 0.22
- Ex-Dividend Date: September 29, 2011
- Beta: 0.86
Strategy: In combination with my buying the stock and after checking company updates, offer to sell the October $ 25.00 strike call for $ 0.35 over the intrinsic value. The option may get exercised early for a gain. If not, after qualifying for the dividend, I will attempt to close out the trade with a gain of near $ 0.04.
The P/E ratio has been recently discounted, as the current trailing-twelve-months (ttm) P/E ratio is 22.9, while the forward P/E ratio is now 15. The current book value per share is 20.36. Revenue year-over-year has decreased to $ 8.11 billion for 2010 vs. $ 8.20 billion for 2009. The bottom line has rising earnings year-over-year of $ 506.50 million for 2010 vs. $ 495.00 million for 2009. The company’s earnings before income and taxes are falling, with an EBIT year-over-year of $ 1.54 billion for 2010 vs. $ 1.59 billion for 2009.
At $ 28.33, the price is currently below the 200-day moving average of 29.94, and below the 60-day moving average of 29.38. The stock has moved higher in price by 15.62%, with a one-year change of -3.58%.
Comparing to the S&P 500 price changes, the price performances are 8.11% vs. the S&P 500 from a month ago, and year-to-date difference is 3.02% vs. the S&P 500 price change.
Remember, you must buy a stock at least three business days before the record date (at least one business day before the ex-dividend date) to qualify for a dividend.
My last step (completed before making a trade on the same day) is to check company announcements and news sources for possible events that may cause the stock price to move. This is especially important during earnings season.
I research the different call options and calculate the expected probabilities based on Beta, Bid, Offer, Volume traded the current day, open interest, and time value / implied volatility. The options offer some level of protection from down moves in the stock, and provide revenue to cover the times that the options do not fully cover down moves in the stock. Income is not needed from the option premiums, so a break-even from the premiums received/stock losses ratio is a win.
I use a proprietary blend of technical analysis, financial crowd behavior, and fundamentals in my short-term trades, and while not totally the same in longer swing trades to investments, the concepts used are similar. Nothing in the article should be considered investment advice, but you may want to use this article as a starting point for your own research with your financial planner. I use Seeking Alpha, Edgar Online, and Yahoo Finance for most of my data.
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, but may initiate a long position in RSG over the next 72 hours.
From our Blog
- Why You Need a Dumpster September 21, 2016
- Neighborhood Togetherness Matters & Clean Up Does, Too September 19, 2016
- What Waste Should You Recycle And Throw In The Trash? August 3, 2016
- Dumpster Rentals for Business Owners August 1, 2016
- Picking a Dumpster for Your Next Roofing Project July 19, 2016
- Consequences of Illegal Dumping and Littering July 13, 2016
- How To Dispose Of Debris? June 14, 2016
- When Is A Good Time To Clean Out Your Waste? June 13, 2016
- How to Dispose of Construction Waste May 2, 2016
- Why You Should Share Rental Dumpsters With Your Neighbors April 29, 2016
2011 2012 Announces best Call Clean Company Conference Connections Covanta diving dumpster dumpsters Energy Ewaste Garb garbage Harbors Holding Identity Inc. Industry Landfill Management Plant power Present Progressive Recycling Release Rental Reports Republic Second Services Solutions Stericycle stock Third TRASH TriTech Veolia Waste yard Year
- Dumpster Diving for Gourmet Pig Feed – Novella Carpenter July 10, 2011
- A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC September 17, 2011
- MythBusters – Dumpster Diving Trailer July 16, 2011
- Kris Kemp: Dumpster Diver August 21, 2011
- What should happen after my character gets beat up? June 6, 2011
- Frugal TV – Dumpster Diving for Coupons June 11, 2011
- Dumpster Dive (Director Commentary) September 24, 2011
- Dumpster Divers Spark Palin Probe September 11, 2011
- Can Opener? We don’t need no stinking can opener! June 19, 2011
- Auburn-Placer 1 yard dumpster June 8, 2011