“s” : “rsg,wcn,wm”,”k” : “a00,a50,b00,b60,c10,g00,h00,l10,p20,t10,v00″,”o” : “”,”j” : “”
On Friday September 9, 2011, 1:30 pm EDT
NEW YORK (AP) — The waste disposal industry might get more consolidated, says Wunderlich Securities analyst Michael Hoffman, who wrote in a note to clients Friday that the industry could soon be dominated by a two-company “duopoly.”
Waste disposal already is dominated by four national firms: Progressive Waste Solutions Ltd., Waste Management Inc., Waste Connections Inc. and Republic Services Inc. But the industry could become even more consolidated.
Hoffman said Republic Services might buy Progressive Waste Solutions Ltd., which would cement a “national duopoly” between the newly merged company and Waste Management Inc.
That combination would give the two companies nearly 80 percent of permitted landfill capacity and more than 60 percent of disposal volumes in North America, Hoffman wrote in a note to clients.
Getting bigger isn’t always worthwhile for waste management companies, but a merger could make sense if the companies complement each other, Hoffman wrote. And it could be the most economical way for Republic and Progressive to square off against Waste Management.
Hoffman also said a duopoly would bring stability to pricing growth on local, regional and national levels.
Waste management companies’ shares somewhat less than the broader markets declined Friday:
– Progressive Waste Solutions shares fell 34 cents, or 1.6 percent, to $ 21.23 in midday trading.
– Waste Management fell 59 cents, or 1.9 percent, to $ 30.61.
– Shares of Waste Connections fell 46 cents, or 1.4 percent, to $ 33.62.
– Republic Services fell 71 cents, or 2.5 percent, to $ 28.29.
Follow Yahoo! Finance on ; become a fan on Facebook.
Yahoo! Finance: Waste Management Industry News
From our Blog
- Why You Need a Dumpster September 21, 2016
- Neighborhood Togetherness Matters & Clean Up Does, Too September 19, 2016
- What Waste Should You Recycle And Throw In The Trash? August 3, 2016
- Dumpster Rentals for Business Owners August 1, 2016
- Picking a Dumpster for Your Next Roofing Project July 19, 2016
- Consequences of Illegal Dumping and Littering July 13, 2016
- How To Dispose Of Debris? June 14, 2016
- When Is A Good Time To Clean Out Your Waste? June 13, 2016
- How to Dispose of Construction Waste May 2, 2016
- Why You Should Share Rental Dumpsters With Your Neighbors April 29, 2016
2011 2012 Announces best Call Clean Company Conference Connections Covanta diving dumpster dumpsters Energy Ewaste Garb garbage Harbors Holding Identity Inc. Industry Landfill Management Plant power Present Progressive Recycling Release Rental Reports Republic Second Services Solutions Stericycle stock Third TRASH TriTech Veolia Waste yard Year
- Dumpster Diving for Gourmet Pig Feed – Novella Carpenter July 10, 2011
- A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC September 17, 2011
- MythBusters – Dumpster Diving Trailer July 16, 2011
- Kris Kemp: Dumpster Diver August 21, 2011
- What should happen after my character gets beat up? June 6, 2011
- Frugal TV – Dumpster Diving for Coupons June 11, 2011
- Dumpster Dive (Director Commentary) September 24, 2011
- Dumpster Divers Spark Palin Probe September 11, 2011
- Can Opener? We don’t need no stinking can opener! June 19, 2011
- Auburn-Placer 1 yard dumpster June 8, 2011