Obama Halts Ozone Rule; May Limit Other Discretionary EPA Actions
Date: September 9, 2011
Source: News Room
President Obama’s decision on Sept. 2 to withdraw EPA’s ozone air quality standard appears to be a tacit admission that environmental rules can be economically damaging and may indicate a willingness to delay other discretionary policy measures, including pending chemical risk assessments, water quality guidance and others. Obama said that issuing a new standard now would have created regulatory uncertainty. “Ultimately, I did not support asking state and local governments to begin implementing a new standard that will soon be reconsidered.” Meanwhile, House Republicans are vowing to continue their efforts to pass wholesale reforms tightening the regulatory review process, as well as to curtail other EPA rules.
White House spokesman Clark Stevens, in a Sept. 7 statement said “While the President has made clear that we must continue to ensure that new regulations are based on common sense, and implemented in ways that do not impede our economic recovery, he has also made clear that he will not accept the false choice of either having prosperity or clean air, clean water, and safe food. Americans deserve both, and we will continue to take steps that provide those protections, while fostering economic growth.”
In the wake of the ozone decision, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce is urging the president to further direct agencies to stop or delay rules not required by a statute or court order, arguing that they create uncertainty for business. The chamber sent a Sept. 5 letter urging the president to issue an executive order “directing agencies not to issue any discretionary regulations that would have a substantial economic impact — until our rates of GDP and employment growth have substantially improved.” The letter also called for measures to streamline permitting and promote domestic energy production.
House Republicans are also signaling to the administration their intention to move forward with a number of deregulatory proposals and are also asking President Obama for cost estimates for some 212 new actions planned by the administration.
“While we appreciate your announcement on Friday asking the EPA to withdraw its new draft ozone standards, we believe it is critical to not stop there, and instead to act to further reduce this cumulative regulatory drag of uncertainty on economic growth and job creation,” House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) and Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) wrote in a Sept. 6 letter to Obama.
From our Blog
- Why You Need a Dumpster September 21, 2016
- Neighborhood Togetherness Matters & Clean Up Does, Too September 19, 2016
- What Waste Should You Recycle And Throw In The Trash? August 3, 2016
- Dumpster Rentals for Business Owners August 1, 2016
- Picking a Dumpster for Your Next Roofing Project July 19, 2016
- Consequences of Illegal Dumping and Littering July 13, 2016
- How To Dispose Of Debris? June 14, 2016
- When Is A Good Time To Clean Out Your Waste? June 13, 2016
- How to Dispose of Construction Waste May 2, 2016
- Why You Should Share Rental Dumpsters With Your Neighbors April 29, 2016
2011 2012 Announces best Call Clean Company Conference Connections Covanta diving dumpster dumpsters Energy Ewaste Garb garbage Harbors Holding Identity Inc. Industry Landfill Management Plant power Present Progressive Recycling Release Rental Reports Republic Second Services Solutions Stericycle stock Third TRASH TriTech Veolia Waste yard Year
- Dumpster Diving for Gourmet Pig Feed – Novella Carpenter July 10, 2011
- A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC September 17, 2011
- MythBusters – Dumpster Diving Trailer July 16, 2011
- Kris Kemp: Dumpster Diver August 21, 2011
- What should happen after my character gets beat up? June 6, 2011
- Frugal TV – Dumpster Diving for Coupons June 11, 2011
- Dumpster Dive (Director Commentary) September 24, 2011
- Dumpster Divers Spark Palin Probe September 11, 2011
- Can Opener? We don’t need no stinking can opener! June 19, 2011
- Auburn-Placer 1 yard dumpster June 8, 2011