(PRWEB) September 3, 2005
Identity theft – a fraud where criminals assume someone else’s identity for illegal gain – is the fastest growing crime in many developed countries.
In the UK incidence of identity theft is growing at a rate of 500% each year and, according to Which Magazine, 25% of UK adults say they have had their identity stolen or know a victim of ID fraud.
In the USA, according to the Better Business Bureau, over 9 million Americans fell victim to this type of crime during 2004. The annual value of this type of crime was estimated to be $ 52.6 billion.
However, contrary to popular opinion, the internet is not a major factor in the increase in identity theft and can, in fact, significantly reduce financial hardship suffered as a result of this type of criminal activity.
A 2005 survey conducted by Javelin Strategy & Research and The Better Business Bureau in the USA discovered that only 11.6% of identity theft cases used computers or the internet as a source of information for identity theft crimes.
The vast majority of information used to illegally assume someone else’s identity was sourced from traditional methods such as lost or stolen wallets, “dumpster diving” (sifting through discarded trash for personal documents), mail theft or misdirection and offline transactions.
Find out more about the problem of identity theft and access the Better Business Bureau survey:
From our Blog
- Why You Need a Dumpster September 21, 2016
- Neighborhood Togetherness Matters & Clean Up Does, Too September 19, 2016
- What Waste Should You Recycle And Throw In The Trash? August 3, 2016
- Dumpster Rentals for Business Owners August 1, 2016
- Picking a Dumpster for Your Next Roofing Project July 19, 2016
- Consequences of Illegal Dumping and Littering July 13, 2016
- How To Dispose Of Debris? June 14, 2016
- When Is A Good Time To Clean Out Your Waste? June 13, 2016
- How to Dispose of Construction Waste May 2, 2016
- Why You Should Share Rental Dumpsters With Your Neighbors April 29, 2016
2011 2012 Announces best Call Clean Company Conference Connections Covanta diving dumpster dumpsters Energy Ewaste Garb garbage Harbors Holding Identity Inc. Industry Landfill Management Plant power Present Progressive Recycling Release Rental Reports Republic Second Services Solutions Stericycle stock Third TRASH TriTech Veolia Waste yard Year
- Dumpster Diving for Gourmet Pig Feed – Novella Carpenter July 10, 2011
- A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC September 17, 2011
- MythBusters – Dumpster Diving Trailer July 16, 2011
- Kris Kemp: Dumpster Diver August 21, 2011
- What should happen after my character gets beat up? June 6, 2011
- Frugal TV – Dumpster Diving for Coupons June 11, 2011
- Dumpster Dive (Director Commentary) September 24, 2011
- Dumpster Divers Spark Palin Probe September 11, 2011
- Auburn-Placer 1 yard dumpster June 8, 2011
- Can Opener? We don’t need no stinking can opener! June 19, 2011