Press Release Source: Carbon Sciences Inc. On Monday September 26, 2011, 4:31 pm EDT
SANTA BARBARA, CA–(Marketwire -09/26/11)- Carbon Sciences Inc. (OTC.BB: CABN.OB – News), the developer of a breakthrough technology to make gasoline and other transportation fuels from natural gas and carbon dioxide, today announced a plan to commercialize its breakthrough catalyst as a drop-in replacement in the existing billion dollar catalyst market for steam methane reforming.
Steam reforming of natural gas, sometimes referred to as steam methane reforming (SMR) is the most common commercial method for producing bulk hydrogen as well as hydrogen used in the industrial synthesis of ammonia and methanol. In a typical SMR reactor, steam takes up approximately 75% of the volume, therefore leaving only 25% available for natural gas. This high steam to methane ratio is needed to prevent coking and deactivation of the SMR catalyst. Carbon Science’s catalyst exhibits low coking, long run time and prefers a much lower amount of steam.
Byron Elton, Carbon Sciences CEO, explained, “Based on our internal market research and technical analysis, we believe our dry reforming catalyst can be adapted to work as a direct replacement for steam reforming catalysts. Because our catalyst prefers less steam, we believe we can process more natural gas in the reactor, therefore producing more hydrogen per pass. Also, by reducing the amount of steam, a very energy intensive component, we can reduce the overall operating costs and capital costs of the steam production plant. Lastly, because our process consumes CO2 we can further reduce cost in markets that require CO2 mitigation.”
Dry reforming of methane has attracted significant attention from both industrial and environmental sectors. One of the major obstacles encountered in the application of this process is rapid deactivation of the catalyst, which is mainly due to carbon accumulation, or coking, and sintering of both the support and active metal particles. The solution has been the use of “noble” metals, including platinum and ruthenium to address the problem.
Elton added, “The high cost and limited availability of noble metals has made large scale dry reforming economically unfeasible. Our catalyst is based on inexpensive, non-noble metals and has been proven to be the most robust catalyst for dry reforming in the world. If successful in modifying our catalyst to operate under the conditions of SMR, which is close to our current dry reforming operating conditions, it will be an instant large market opportunity for us.”
About Carbon Sciences Inc.
Carbon Sciences has developed a proprietary technology to make gasoline and other fuels from natural gas. We believe our technology will enable nations of the world to reduce their dependence on petroleum by cost-effectively using natural gas to produce cleaner and greener liquid fuels for immediate use in the existing transportation infrastructure. Although found in abundant supply at affordable prices in the U.S. and throughout the world, natural gas cannot be used directly in cars, trucks, trains and planes without a massive overhaul of the existing transportation infrastructure. Innovating at the forefront of chemical engineering, Carbon Sciences is developing a highly scalable, clean-tech process to transform natural gas into liquid transportation fuels such as gasoline, diesel and jet fuel. The key to this cost-effective process is a proprietary methane dry reforming catalyst that consumes carbon dioxide.
Safe Harbor Statement
Matters discussed in this press release contain statements that look forward within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. When used in this press release, the words “anticipate,” “believe,” “estimate,” “may,” “intend,” “expect” and similar expressions identify such statements that look forward. Actual results, performance or achievements could differ materially from those contemplated, expressed or implied by the statements that look forward contained herein, and while expected, there is no guarantee that we will attain the aforementioned anticipated developmental milestones. These statements that look forward are based largely on the expectations of the Company and are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties. These include, but are not limited to, risks and uncertainties associated with: the impact of economic, competitive and other factors affecting the Company and its operations, markets, product, and distributor performance, the impact on the national and local economies resulting from terrorist actions, and U.S. actions subsequently; and other factors detailed in reports filed by the Company.
Follow Yahoo! Finance on ; become a fan on Facebook.