“s” : “eei”,”k” : “a00,a50,b00,b60,c10,g00,h00,l10,p20,t10,v00″,”o” : “”,”j” : “”

Press Release Source: Ecology and Environment, Inc. On Saturday June 4, 2011, 9:00 am EDT

LANCASTER, NY–(Marketwire – 06/04/11) – Ecology and Environment, Inc. (E & E) (NASDAQ:EEINews) is proud to announce the Project Earth 2011 World Environment Day Contest project winners, selected from nearly 400 entries received from schools around the world.

Overall Winner: International School Brunei, Brunei
Overall Runner Up: International School Aamby, India
K-5 Winner: Unidad Educativa Tomas Moro, Ecuador
Grades 6-8 Winner: Beykoz Doga School, Turkey
Grades 9-12 Winner: Oasis International School, Egypt

All of our 2011 World Environment Day Contest winners will be featured on the Project Earth (www.projectearth.net) web site.

The 2011 Overall World Environment Day Contest Winner is International School Brunei (ISB), recognized for its Eco Week which involved several innovative activities intended to raise environmental awareness and educate primary school students about the impact our everyday decisions have on the environment. Eco Week activities included a No Power Hour, a Pass on the Paper exercise, Eco poetry and songs, an Eco pledge, games made from recycled materials, a Trash to Panache recycled clothing project, a beach clean-up, and an Idea competition.

“We are delighted to receive this award from Project Earth,” stated ISB Science and Math Teacher Renard Naidoo. “I am particularly proud of our students for demonstrating environmental stewardship and I am thankful to all the teachers involved in our Growing Green Minds campaign. We are excited that our project will be shared with other schools and likewise look forward to learning from our international peers.”

The Overall Runner Up is the International School Aamby in India, where the Environmental Club embarked on the Together We Can Save Lion’s Point project, which included a public awareness campaign, the installation of new dust bins, and a clean-up drive that motivated the local community surrounding Lion’s Point, a popular tourist spot, to think about the impact litter has on the environment.

The K-5 winner is Unidad Educativa Tomas Moro in Ecuador for its Saving Yasuni initiative to preserve and protect Yasuni National Park. The grade 6-8 winner is The Beykoz Doga School in Turkey, for its six month long Nature and Us project. In the grade 9-12 category, the winner is the Oasis International School in Egypt for its Rice Straw Recycling Project.

Several regional winners are also recognized for their innovative projects:

American School of Antananarivo, Madagascar
International School of Kenya, Kenya

Cempaka International School, Malaysia
British International School, Thailand
Bharat Mata Higher Secondary School, India
Bhavan’s Rajaji Vidyashram, India
Daryn School, Kazakhstan
GEMS Royal Dubai School, United Arab Emirates

Scoala Generala Coldau, Romania
American College Arcus, Bulgaria
Szkola Podstawowa Nr 4 W Zawoi, Poland
Bostanci Doga College, Turkey

North America:
Instituto Piaget, Mexico
St. Philip the Apostle School, United States
Goddard High School, United States
Pavilion Central School, United States
Lincoln School, Costa Rica

South America:
St. Francis Xavier School, Argentina
Sunrise School, Argentina
Instituto Educacional Juan XXIII, Venezuela
St. Clare’s College, Uruguay

“We are pleased not only with the quality of the projects submitted this year, but also with the geographic diversity of the projects. Students in every part of the world are showing a clear commitment to finding solutions to today’s most pressing environmental issues. These projects and the enthusiasm of these students illustrate that collectively we can all have a genuine impact on the environment,” said Kevin Neumaier, E & E president and CEO.

Project Earth is an online forum created to foster environmental and cultural exchange, networking schools and clubs around the world. Over 1,100 schools and clubs from 70 countries are currently participating in Project Earth. Recognizing that environmental issues are global, that tomorrow’s leaders must be prepared to work across borders and cultures, and that technology makes connecting on a global scale more accessible than ever, Project Earth is a space where classes and clubs can post environmental projects of all kinds and begin to network with like-minded students across the country and around the world. In addition to the winners of the 2011 World Environment Day Contest, winners from the 2011 U.S. Earth Day Contest and 2011 World Environment Day Russia contest are also featured on Project Earth, along with information on upcoming country-specific contests in Chile.

Headquartered in Lancaster, N.Y., E & E has completed more than 50,000 projects for a wide variety of clients in 113 countries, providing environmental solutions in nearly every ecosystem on the planet. The company is listed on the NASDAQ under the symbol EEI and is located on the web at www.ene.com. More information on Project Earth is available on www.projectearth.net.

Yahoo! Finance: Waste Management Industry News

Looking for a roll-off dumpster rental?

Visit our zip code finder and find the best prices for your dumpster rental!

Tagged with: