Tim Collette, a Bend homeowner whose foreclosure struggle made national headlines, on Thursday filed a lawsuit against JP Morgan Chase JP Morgan Chase Latest from The Business Journals Houston’s top banks increase depositsAssociated names Robert Watson treasurerWarren Buffett: Solving Bank of America’s woes will take years Follow this company and Washington Mutual Washington Mutual Latest from The Business Journals Whidbey Island Bank names new CEOWhistleblower suit targets major banksWhistleblower suit in Atlanta targets major banks Follow this company .
Collette’s home was sold on the Deschutes County courthouse steps in August.
The sale made national news because it took place hours before Collette’s son, a soldier in the U.S. Army, returned home on military leave. The Huffington Post, ABC News and the Los Angeles Times covered the story.
On Thursday, the two-attorney Lake Oswego-based law firm Bowles Fernandez Law LLC sued Chase, Washington Mutual and trustee Kelly D. Sutherland of Shapiro & Sutherland for wrongful foreclosure.
The complaint alleges that there is “no evidence that Chase actually is the owner of the debt” and therefore it was not entitled to foreclose on the home.
Chase said it granted Collette’s request to stay in his home through his son’s military leave. It also sent his loan modification documents to Fannie Mae, which owned the loan and denied his request for a loan modification.
Collette’s case isn’t unique. Oregon judges are listening to dozens of cases that hinge on whether banks had clear title to homes when initiating foreclosure proceedings.
Collette, a contractor, purchased his former Bend home in June 2006 for roughly $ 360,000, including a $ 127,000 down payment. He fell behind on payments when the economy crashed and the central Oregon construction market dried up.
New York-based Chase recently opened a homeownership center in Portland to help struggling homeowners.
Since 2009, the bank said it has avoided more than 6,400 Oregon foreclosures by working with homeowners.
Matthew Kish covers banking, finance and higher education.
From our Blog
- Why You Need a Dumpster September 21, 2016
- Neighborhood Togetherness Matters & Clean Up Does, Too September 19, 2016
- What Waste Should You Recycle And Throw In The Trash? August 3, 2016
- Dumpster Rentals for Business Owners August 1, 2016
- Picking a Dumpster for Your Next Roofing Project July 19, 2016
- Consequences of Illegal Dumping and Littering July 13, 2016
- How To Dispose Of Debris? June 14, 2016
- When Is A Good Time To Clean Out Your Waste? June 13, 2016
- How to Dispose of Construction Waste May 2, 2016
- Why You Should Share Rental Dumpsters With Your Neighbors April 29, 2016
2011 2012 Announces best Call Clean Company Conference Connections Covanta diving dumpster dumpsters Energy Ewaste Garb garbage Harbors Holding Identity Inc. Industry Landfill Management Plant power Present Progressive Recycling Release Rental Reports Republic Second Services Solutions Stericycle stock Third TRASH TriTech Veolia Waste yard Year
- Dumpster Diving for Gourmet Pig Feed – Novella Carpenter July 10, 2011
- A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC September 17, 2011
- MythBusters – Dumpster Diving Trailer July 16, 2011
- Kris Kemp: Dumpster Diver August 21, 2011
- What should happen after my character gets beat up? June 6, 2011
- Frugal TV – Dumpster Diving for Coupons June 11, 2011
- Dumpster Dive (Director Commentary) September 24, 2011
- Dumpster Divers Spark Palin Probe September 11, 2011
- Auburn-Placer 1 yard dumpster June 8, 2011
- Can Opener? We don’t need no stinking can opener! June 19, 2011