Stamford, CT (PRWEB) May 13, 2005
As the number of recent thefts of personal and financial records from major corporations continues to rise, members of AP9 PrivacyPlus, a leading security membership program offered by Adaptive Marketing LLC, are turning to the program for increased security and peace of mind surrounding their identities.
While dumpster diving (i.e., rummaging through the trash for personal information) is the most prevalent form of identity theft, thieves also rely on ATM personal identification numbers (PINs) and ATMs themselves. This evolution of tactics reinforces the need for secure safeguards of personal information like those offered by AP9 PrivacyPlus, which members can access around the clock via DealPass.com.
AP9 PrivacyPlus offers a few insights into potential risks to your identity from using ATMs and ATM cards:
Shoulder surfers steal information simply by looking over your shoulder while you enter an ATM PIN.
Fake ATMs are used to dupe you into trying to withdraw money from an ATM, forcing you to enter your PIN one or more times while your card is locked inside the machine. Thieves will either shoulder surf or videotape you as you enter your PIN, then use that information and your stolen card to drain your bank account.
*- Even legitimate ATM machines can be used against you. Thieves will place a thin, plastic sheet into the card slot, which will then capture your card while you enter your PIN repeatedly under the watchful eye of the thief. When you walk away in frustration, the thief will pull your card out and use your PIN.
Skimmers steal financial information from you when you purchase items with an ATM debit card. ATM skimmers can fit almost seamlessly into legitimate ATM machines to read the data on the magnetic stripe when your card is swiped. This information is then sent to associates who use the recorded data to purchase items or create counterfeit cards.
The best defenses against these risks include: shielding the keypad when entering your PIN; checking the card slot for a plastic sheet before inserting your card; using ATM machines only in trusted locations, like your local bank; using a debit card that has a cap on losses for which you may be liable; and asking your bank to set a daily withdrawal limit on your debit card. Of course, checking your bank statements and your credit report regularly can also alert you to signs of identity theft.
AP9 PrivacyPlus members have immediate access to a wide range of benefits designed to protect their personal information, credit, assets, physical property and more.
About AP9 PrivacyPlus
AP9 PrivacyPlus is a leading membership security program offered by Adaptive Marketing LLC. Headquartered in Stamford, Conn., Adaptive Marketing is a category leader in both membership and loyalty programs, bringing value direct to consumers through an array of benefits in healthcare, discounts, security, personal property and personals. Members may access their benefits at DealPass.cm, an online portal for Adaptive Marketing member programs. With broad online and offline distribution capabilities, Adaptive Marketing offers its corporate client partners effective tools to enhance market presence, strengthen customer affinity and generate additional value through programs, such as AP9 PrivacyPlus.
# # #
Find More Dumpster Diving Press Releases
From our Blog
- Why You Need a Dumpster September 21, 2016
- Neighborhood Togetherness Matters & Clean Up Does, Too September 19, 2016
- What Waste Should You Recycle And Throw In The Trash? August 3, 2016
- Dumpster Rentals for Business Owners August 1, 2016
- Picking a Dumpster for Your Next Roofing Project July 19, 2016
- Consequences of Illegal Dumping and Littering July 13, 2016
- How To Dispose Of Debris? June 14, 2016
- When Is A Good Time To Clean Out Your Waste? June 13, 2016
- How to Dispose of Construction Waste May 2, 2016
- Why You Should Share Rental Dumpsters With Your Neighbors April 29, 2016
2011 2012 Announces best Call Clean Company Conference Connections Covanta diving dumpster dumpsters Energy Ewaste Garb garbage Harbors Holding Identity Inc. Industry Landfill Management Plant power Present Progressive Recycling Release Rental Reports Republic Second Services Solutions Stericycle stock Third TRASH TriTech Veolia Waste yard Year
- Dumpster Diving for Gourmet Pig Feed – Novella Carpenter July 10, 2011
- A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC September 17, 2011
- MythBusters – Dumpster Diving Trailer July 16, 2011
- Kris Kemp: Dumpster Diver August 21, 2011
- What should happen after my character gets beat up? June 6, 2011
- Frugal TV – Dumpster Diving for Coupons June 11, 2011
- Dumpster Dive (Director Commentary) September 24, 2011
- Dumpster Divers Spark Palin Probe September 11, 2011
- Auburn-Placer 1 yard dumpster June 8, 2011
- Can Opener? We don’t need no stinking can opener! June 19, 2011