Nuclear production waste moved to underground storage
* addthis_config is used to set global options.
* ‘services_exclude’ lists all services not to be
* shown in the drop down menus.
* UI API found here: http://www.addthis.com/help/client-api#configuration-ui
* Service List found here: http://www.addthis.com/services/list
June 3 — The U.S. Department of Energy announced it has moved 1,000 cubic meters of transuranic waste off of the Hanford Site, a decommissioned nuclear production complex in Washington, to the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant in New Mexico.
The shipping of the waste was scheduled to be completed before Sept. 30, but officials announced it was completed by the end of May.
Shipments of waste from the Hanford Site, located about 190 miles southeast of Seattle, began in 2000 and were restarted in March of 2010 after the Department of Energy received $ 30 million in funding from the federal government. Shipments had been on hold for 18 months, the agency said in a statement.
According to the Department of Energy, the shipments contained 55-gallon drums and steel boxes with contaminated solid waste, including debris from cleaning out plutonium production facilities.
Waste that has been temporarily stored at sites around the country is brought to the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant where it is permanently disposed of 2,150 below the surface, the Department of Energy said. The site is located 26 miles southeast of Carlsbad, N.M., in the southeastern corner of the state.
Jeremy Carroll is a reporter for Waste & Recycling News. Contact him at [email protected] or 313-446-6780
Please use the form below to submit your comments about this story.
This Year’s Most Popular Stories
From our Blog
- Why You Need a Dumpster September 21, 2016
- Neighborhood Togetherness Matters & Clean Up Does, Too September 19, 2016
- What Waste Should You Recycle And Throw In The Trash? August 3, 2016
- Dumpster Rentals for Business Owners August 1, 2016
- Picking a Dumpster for Your Next Roofing Project July 19, 2016
- Consequences of Illegal Dumping and Littering July 13, 2016
- How To Dispose Of Debris? June 14, 2016
- When Is A Good Time To Clean Out Your Waste? June 13, 2016
- How to Dispose of Construction Waste May 2, 2016
- Why You Should Share Rental Dumpsters With Your Neighbors April 29, 2016
2011 2012 Announces best Call Clean Company Conference Connections Covanta diving dumpster dumpsters Energy Ewaste Garb garbage Harbors Holding Identity Inc. Industry Landfill Management Plant power Present Progressive Recycling Release Rental Reports Republic Second Services Solutions Stericycle stock Third TRASH TriTech Veolia Waste yard Year
- Dumpster Diving for Gourmet Pig Feed – Novella Carpenter July 10, 2011
- A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC September 17, 2011
- MythBusters – Dumpster Diving Trailer July 16, 2011
- Kris Kemp: Dumpster Diver August 21, 2011
- What should happen after my character gets beat up? June 6, 2011
- Frugal TV – Dumpster Diving for Coupons June 11, 2011
- Dumpster Dive (Director Commentary) September 24, 2011
- Dumpster Divers Spark Palin Probe September 11, 2011
- Can Opener? We don’t need no stinking can opener! June 19, 2011
- Auburn-Placer 1 yard dumpster June 8, 2011