San Diego recycling rate hits 68%
* addthis_config is used to set global options.
* ‘services_exclude’ lists all services not to be
* shown in the drop down menus.
* UI API found here: http://www.addthis.com/help/client-api#configuration-ui
* Service List found here: http://www.addthis.com/services/list
Nov. 15 — San Diego is celebrating America Recycles Day today, in part, with the announcement that it has hit a milestone recycling rate of 68%.
It was only one year ago that the city’s recycling rate topped out at 66% and residents were told they could start to put No. 5 plastics such as butter and yogurt containers in with their residential recycling bins, the San Diego Union-Tribune reported.
It was because of the new plastics inclusion that the change generated an estimated 750 tons of plastic in its first year, Ken Prue, recycling manager for the city, told the newspaper.
The city’s initiatives are part of a larger movement to preserve natural resources, the newspaper said. California legislators recently set a “policy goal” of diverting 75% of waste from landfills by 2020. The state is at about 65% now, the newspaper said, a number that has been on the rise since the landmark mandate of 50% was set by the California Legislature in 1989.
Contact Waste & Recycling News reporter Shawn Wright at [email protected] or 313-446-0346.
This Year’s Most Popular Stories
From our Blog
- Why You Need a Dumpster September 21, 2016
- Neighborhood Togetherness Matters & Clean Up Does, Too September 19, 2016
- What Waste Should You Recycle And Throw In The Trash? August 3, 2016
- Dumpster Rentals for Business Owners August 1, 2016
- Picking a Dumpster for Your Next Roofing Project July 19, 2016
- Consequences of Illegal Dumping and Littering July 13, 2016
- How To Dispose Of Debris? June 14, 2016
- When Is A Good Time To Clean Out Your Waste? June 13, 2016
- How to Dispose of Construction Waste May 2, 2016
- Why You Should Share Rental Dumpsters With Your Neighbors April 29, 2016
2011 2012 Announces best Call Clean Company Conference Connections Covanta diving dumpster dumpsters Energy Ewaste Garb garbage Harbors Holding Identity Inc. Industry Landfill Management Plant power Present Progressive Recycling Release Rental Reports Republic Second Services Solutions Stericycle stock Third TRASH TriTech Veolia Waste yard Year
- Dumpster Diving for Gourmet Pig Feed – Novella Carpenter July 10, 2011
- A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC September 17, 2011
- MythBusters – Dumpster Diving Trailer July 16, 2011
- Kris Kemp: Dumpster Diver August 21, 2011
- What should happen after my character gets beat up? June 6, 2011
- Frugal TV – Dumpster Diving for Coupons June 11, 2011
- Dumpster Dive (Director Commentary) September 24, 2011
- Dumpster Divers Spark Palin Probe September 11, 2011
- Can Opener? We don’t need no stinking can opener! June 19, 2011
- Auburn-Placer 1 yard dumpster June 8, 2011