Waste group, companies fight Dallas flow control law
* addthis_config is used to set global options.
* ‘services_exclude’ lists all services not to be
* shown in the drop down menus.
* UI API found here: http://www.addthis.com/help/client-api#configuration-ui
* Service List found here: http://www.addthis.com/services/list
Nov. 21 — The National Solid Wastes Management Association, Waste Management, Republic Services and a group of smaller haulers have filed a lawsuit against Dallas over the city´s passage of a flow control ordinance.
The Dallas City Council approved an ordinance on Sept. 28 to force all waste collected at commercial and industrial facilities be disposed at the city-owned McCommas Bluff Landfill. The ordinance is scheduled to go into effect on Jan. 2.
“The forced diversion of all commercial solid waste to the city-owned landfill is not only an extraordinarily anti-free enterprise action by the city, it is unlawful on multiple grounds,” NSWMA and others wrote in the complaint, filed in U.S. District Court.
The 28-page complaint argues the ordinance violates the franchise agreements in place with various haulers, that it is unconstitutional and is contrary to Texas law.
The complaint also argues that the ordinance’s purpose is to raise money, something the city can only do by using its taxing powers.
“The city´s taxing power does not authorize directing that all solid waste generated, found or located in the city be disposed of at the McCommas Landfill to raise revenue,” the complaint says.
Contact Waste & Recycling News reporter Jeremy Carroll at [email protected] or 313-446-6780.
This Year’s Most Popular Stories
From our Blog
- Why You Need a Dumpster September 21, 2016
- Neighborhood Togetherness Matters & Clean Up Does, Too September 19, 2016
- What Waste Should You Recycle And Throw In The Trash? August 3, 2016
- Dumpster Rentals for Business Owners August 1, 2016
- Picking a Dumpster for Your Next Roofing Project July 19, 2016
- Consequences of Illegal Dumping and Littering July 13, 2016
- How To Dispose Of Debris? June 14, 2016
- When Is A Good Time To Clean Out Your Waste? June 13, 2016
- How to Dispose of Construction Waste May 2, 2016
- Why You Should Share Rental Dumpsters With Your Neighbors April 29, 2016
2011 2012 Announces best Call Clean Company Conference Connections Covanta diving dumpster dumpsters Energy Ewaste Garb garbage Harbors Holding Identity Inc. Industry Landfill Management Plant power Present Progressive Recycling Release Rental Reports Republic Second Services Solutions Stericycle stock Third TRASH TriTech Veolia Waste yard Year
- Dumpster Diving for Gourmet Pig Feed – Novella Carpenter July 10, 2011
- A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC September 17, 2011
- MythBusters – Dumpster Diving Trailer July 16, 2011
- Kris Kemp: Dumpster Diver August 21, 2011
- What should happen after my character gets beat up? June 6, 2011
- Frugal TV – Dumpster Diving for Coupons June 11, 2011
- Dumpster Dive (Director Commentary) September 24, 2011
- Dumpster Divers Spark Palin Probe September 11, 2011
- Can Opener? We don’t need no stinking can opener! June 19, 2011
- Auburn-Placer 1 yard dumpster June 8, 2011