Pollution control stocks crept into the top 20 industry rankings this week after posting the top gain among the 197 industry groups tracked by IBD for November.
The group had ranked No. 62 on Nov. 1.
The pollution control group often rises when the market turns defensive. Waste collectors like Waste Management (WM) and Republic Services (RSG) act much like utilities, handling municipal trash hauling, landfills and waste-to-energy incinerators. That makes the businesses resilient in a downturn.
Stericycle (SRCL), which has often led the group’s gains, can also behave defensively. It is the top player in the specialized fields of medical and hazardous waste collection and disposal. The stock has been mired in a consolidation since April.
But the group’s biggest gains in November came from elsewhere in the group.
Perma-Fix Environmental Services (PESI) deals with nuclear waste management services. The very thinly traded stock jumped 15% for the month, but still remained well below $ 5 a share. The Atlanta-based company topped analysts’ third-quarter earnings estimates by 300% when it reported results Nov. 3.
Team (TISI), also a thinly traded stock, popped 9% for the month. The company, which builds and maintains industrial piping operations, posted a second quarter of accelerating sales growth and a fourth straight quarter of strong earnings growth in Q3.
Minneapolis-based Donaldson (DCI) holds the group’s top Composite Rating, a 98. It rose 5% in November, adding to a 17% advance for October. Donaldson manufacturers air and liquid filters used in a broad array of industries, aircraft and on- and off-road vehicles.
The company Nov. 17 reported fiscal first-quarter earnings rose 32%, though sales climbed a slower 13%. Management reiterated fiscal 2012 earnings guidance for between $ 3.25 and $ 3.50, vs. a $ 3.40 consensus.
The stock had cleared a cup-with-handle base in light trade during October. It pulled back to test 10-week support, but held above the base’s 60.63 buy point. It ended Wednesday 11% above that pivot.
From our Blog
- Why You Need a Dumpster September 21, 2016
- Neighborhood Togetherness Matters & Clean Up Does, Too September 19, 2016
- What Waste Should You Recycle And Throw In The Trash? August 3, 2016
- Dumpster Rentals for Business Owners August 1, 2016
- Picking a Dumpster for Your Next Roofing Project July 19, 2016
- Consequences of Illegal Dumping and Littering July 13, 2016
- How To Dispose Of Debris? June 14, 2016
- When Is A Good Time To Clean Out Your Waste? June 13, 2016
- How to Dispose of Construction Waste May 2, 2016
- Why You Should Share Rental Dumpsters With Your Neighbors April 29, 2016
2011 2012 Announces best Call Clean Company Conference Connections Covanta diving dumpster dumpsters Energy Ewaste Garb garbage Harbors Holding Identity Inc. Industry Landfill Management Plant power Present Progressive Recycling Release Rental Reports Republic Second Services Solutions Stericycle stock Third TRASH TriTech Veolia Waste yard Year
- Dumpster Diving for Gourmet Pig Feed – Novella Carpenter July 10, 2011
- A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC September 17, 2011
- MythBusters – Dumpster Diving Trailer July 16, 2011
- Kris Kemp: Dumpster Diver August 21, 2011
- What should happen after my character gets beat up? June 6, 2011
- Frugal TV – Dumpster Diving for Coupons June 11, 2011
- Dumpster Dive (Director Commentary) September 24, 2011
- Dumpster Divers Spark Palin Probe September 11, 2011
- Can Opener? We don’t need no stinking can opener! June 19, 2011
- Auburn-Placer 1 yard dumpster June 8, 2011