New York City’s $ 1 billion annual waste-disposal costs are rising and plans to find less costly options have stalled a decade after Fresh Kills, the world’s biggest landfill, was closed in 2001.
About 11,000 tons of municipal solid waste is created every day in New York, most of which is hauled by truck to landfills as far away as South Carolina, according to a study released by the New York League of Conservation Voters.
Community activists and concerns about a return to 1970s incinerator pollution have frustrated the city’s efforts to find new ways to handle the mountain of garbage, said Marcia Bystryn, president of the environmental activist group.
People opposing development in their neighborhoods “are the biggest impediment to a positive solution,” Bystryn said today in an interview at a conference in New York. “Long-haul transport is costly and going up, it’s bad for the environment and relies on other states continuing to take it from us.”
Projects that would address some of these issues have run into hurdles, according to the report. Budget concerns and community opposition in Manhattan have stymied plans to spend $ 363 million to retrofit transfer stations to load waste onto barges.
Garbage passing through the stations would be shipped to nearby waste-to-energy plants, including one owned by Covanta Holding Corp. (CVA) in Newark, reducing the estimated $ 300 million the city spends annually on long-haul trucking.
“We’ve been trying to make these things community friendly,” said Caswell Holloway, New York’s deputy mayor for operations. “People don’t want these facilities in their communities.”
To contact the reporter on this story: Christopher Martin in New York at [email protected].
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Reed Landberg at [email protected].
From our Blog
- Why You Need a Dumpster September 21, 2016
- Neighborhood Togetherness Matters & Clean Up Does, Too September 19, 2016
- What Waste Should You Recycle And Throw In The Trash? August 3, 2016
- Dumpster Rentals for Business Owners August 1, 2016
- Picking a Dumpster for Your Next Roofing Project July 19, 2016
- Consequences of Illegal Dumping and Littering July 13, 2016
- How To Dispose Of Debris? June 14, 2016
- When Is A Good Time To Clean Out Your Waste? June 13, 2016
- How to Dispose of Construction Waste May 2, 2016
- Why You Should Share Rental Dumpsters With Your Neighbors April 29, 2016
2011 2012 Announces best Call Clean Company Conference Connections Covanta diving dumpster dumpsters Energy Ewaste Garb garbage Harbors Holding Identity Inc. Industry Landfill Management Plant power Present Progressive Recycling Release Rental Reports Republic Second Services Solutions Stericycle stock Third TRASH TriTech Veolia Waste yard Year
- Dumpster Diving for Gourmet Pig Feed – Novella Carpenter July 10, 2011
- A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC September 17, 2011
- MythBusters – Dumpster Diving Trailer July 16, 2011
- Kris Kemp: Dumpster Diver August 21, 2011
- What should happen after my character gets beat up? June 6, 2011
- Frugal TV – Dumpster Diving for Coupons June 11, 2011
- Dumpster Dive (Director Commentary) September 24, 2011
- Dumpster Divers Spark Palin Probe September 11, 2011
- Can Opener? We don’t need no stinking can opener! June 19, 2011
- Auburn-Placer 1 yard dumpster June 8, 2011