Survey finds Atlantic region has room for improvement in setting green holiday traditions.
HALIFAX, Dec. 7, 2011 /CNW/ – According to a recent Ipsos Reid survey commissioned by Waste Management, some minor changes could have Atlantic region residents celebrating green this holiday season. The survey looked at Canadians’ environmental awareness and behaviours during the holidays.
Minor changes to long-held traditions will see the Atlantic region celebrating sustainably this holiday season. The survey found that Atlantic residents are least likely to recycle wrapping paper once gifts are opened and when shopping, and 33 per cent are still buying plastic bags at the checkout, leaving lots of room for improvement.
“By slightly altering your family’s long-held traditions, you can reduce waste and lessen your family’s environmental impact at a time of the year when waste levels are at their highest,” said Waste Management spokesperson, Bernard More. “Small changes to LED lights, recyclable wrapping paper and reusable shopping bags, can have your family celebrating green this holiday season.”
The survey found that the rest of Canada is gearing up for a green Christmas: thirty per cent of Ontarians and British Columbians are purchasing recycled wrapping paper. Sixty-seven per cent of residents from the Saskatchewan/Manitoba region are decorating their homes with energy-efficient, LED lights and 93 per cent of Albertans are aware of their community’s tree-recycling programs.
The province most focused on preserving the environment and reducing waste during the holidays is Quebec. The survey found that Quebecers were most likely in Canada to: recycle wrapping paper, send digital instead of paper holiday cards, and bring or purchase a reusable bag for holiday shopping.
Other useful tips from Waste Management for a green Christmas include:
- When wrapping presents, look for alternatives to buying new wrapping paper. This will save on costs and ensure that leftover paper does not go to waste.
- Remember to bring reusable shopping bags with you to the mall as well as the grocery store, to help reduce the amount of plastic bags in the waste stream.
- When those new toys come in, make sure the old ones do not end up in the trash. Find a local consignment store or shelter where you can donate old, working devices and clothing.
- Don’t be shy, re-gift! Re-gifting unwanted presents cuts back on holiday spending and waste.
- Recycle your Christmas tree! Many communities have tree-mulching programs that will compost your tree after the holidays. Contact your community’s works department to find out if there’s a program in your community.
The full Ipsos Reid survey results can be found at: http://www.ipsos-na.com/news-polls/pressrelease.aspx?id=5425
ABOUT WASTE MANAGEMENT
Waste Management, Inc., based in Houston, Texas, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste management services in North America. Through its subsidiaries, the company provides collection, transfer, recycling and resource recovery, and disposal services. It is also a leading developer, operator and owner of waste-to-energy and landfill gas-to-energy facilities in the United States. The company’s customers include residential, commercial, industrial, and municipal customers throughout North America. To learn more information about Waste Management visit www.wm.com or www.thinkgreen.com.
Yahoo! Finance: Waste Management Industry News
From our Blog
- Why You Need a Dumpster September 21, 2016
- Neighborhood Togetherness Matters & Clean Up Does, Too September 19, 2016
- What Waste Should You Recycle And Throw In The Trash? August 3, 2016
- Dumpster Rentals for Business Owners August 1, 2016
- Picking a Dumpster for Your Next Roofing Project July 19, 2016
- Consequences of Illegal Dumping and Littering July 13, 2016
- How To Dispose Of Debris? June 14, 2016
- When Is A Good Time To Clean Out Your Waste? June 13, 2016
- How to Dispose of Construction Waste May 2, 2016
- Why You Should Share Rental Dumpsters With Your Neighbors April 29, 2016
2011 2012 Announces best Call Clean Company Conference Connections Covanta diving dumpster dumpsters Energy Ewaste Garb garbage Harbors Holding Identity Inc. Industry Landfill Management Plant power Present Progressive Recycling Release Rental Reports Republic Second Services Solutions Stericycle stock Third TRASH TriTech Veolia Waste yard Year
- Dumpster Diving for Gourmet Pig Feed – Novella Carpenter July 10, 2011
- A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC September 17, 2011
- MythBusters – Dumpster Diving Trailer July 16, 2011
- Kris Kemp: Dumpster Diver August 21, 2011
- What should happen after my character gets beat up? June 6, 2011
- Frugal TV – Dumpster Diving for Coupons June 11, 2011
- Dumpster Dive (Director Commentary) September 24, 2011
- Dumpster Divers Spark Palin Probe September 11, 2011
- Can Opener? We don’t need no stinking can opener! June 19, 2011
- Auburn-Placer 1 yard dumpster June 8, 2011