Small changes lead to big impact in waste reduction and energy conservation during the holiday season.
CALGARY, Dec. 7, 2011 /CNW/ – According to a recent Ipsos Reid survey commissioned by Waste Management looking at Canadians’ environmental practices during the holidays, the Prairies are starting to adopt some new, green holiday traditions.
The survey showed that Prairie residents have a relatively good awareness of waste reducing programs in their communities but can improve when it comes to green practices during the holidays. Impressively, nine out of ten (91%) people in the Prairies know that they can recycle their Christmas trees after the holiday season. But there are still some improvements to be made in the gift-wrapping department as only 5 per cent said they are using recyclable wrapping paper for their gifts.
“When wrapping presents, look for alternatives to buying new or non-recyclable wrapping paper,” said Chris LeMasitre, Waste Management spokesperson. “Recycling and reusing wrapping paper or gift bags will cut your costs and ensure that leftover paper does not go to waste.”
When it comes to Christmas decorations, survey findings revealed that more than half (58%) of Prairie residents are decorating their homes with energy efficient LED lights, a higher proportion than in both Quebec (42%) and British Columbia (56%).
“LED tree lights can save 90 per cent more energy than traditional incandescent holiday lights,” said LeMasitre. “With a lifespan of approximately 20,000 hours, they can last for 40 holiday seasons! LED lights also burn less hot and reduce any risk associated with burns or fires.”
When shopping during the holidays, 46 per cent of Prairie residents are bringing their own reusable shopping bags, but 24 per cent are still purchasing plastic bags that often make their way in to the waste stream.
While there are improvements still to be made, overall, the survey encouragingly revealed that most Canadians across the country are making efforts to prepare for a green Christmas, as awareness for waste-reducing strategies continues to grow.
Useful tips from Waste Management for a green Christmas include:
- Consider substituting your family’s paper holiday greeting card with a digital version.
- Remember to bring reusable shopping bags with you to the mall as well as the grocery store, to help reduce the amount of plastic bags in the waste stream.
- When those new toys come in, make sure the old ones do not end up in the trash. Find a local consignment store or shelter where you can donate old, working devices and clothing.
- Don’t be shy, re-gift! Re-gifting unwanted presents cuts back on holiday spending and waste.
- Recycle your Christmas tree! Many communities have tree-mulching programs that will compost your tree after the holidays. Contact your community’s works department to find out if there’s a program in your community.
The full Ipsos Reid survey results can be found at: http://www.ipsos-na.com/news-polls/pressrelease.aspx?id=5425
ABOUT WASTE MANAGEMENT
Waste Management, Inc., based in Houston, Texas, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste management services in North America. Through its subsidiaries, the company provides collection, transfer, recycling and resource recovery, and disposal services. It is also a leading developer, operator and owner of waste-to-energy and landfill gas-to-energy facilities in the United States. The company’s customers include residential, commercial, industrial, and municipal customers throughout North America. To learn more information about Waste Management visit www.wm.com or www.thinkgreen.com.
Yahoo! Finance: Waste Management Industry News
From our Blog
- Why You Need a Dumpster September 21, 2016
- Neighborhood Togetherness Matters & Clean Up Does, Too September 19, 2016
- What Waste Should You Recycle And Throw In The Trash? August 3, 2016
- Dumpster Rentals for Business Owners August 1, 2016
- Picking a Dumpster for Your Next Roofing Project July 19, 2016
- Consequences of Illegal Dumping and Littering July 13, 2016
- How To Dispose Of Debris? June 14, 2016
- When Is A Good Time To Clean Out Your Waste? June 13, 2016
- How to Dispose of Construction Waste May 2, 2016
- Why You Should Share Rental Dumpsters With Your Neighbors April 29, 2016
2011 2012 Announces best Call Clean Company Conference Connections Covanta diving dumpster dumpsters Energy Ewaste Garb garbage Harbors Holding Identity Inc. Industry Landfill Management Plant power Present Progressive Recycling Release Rental Reports Republic Second Services Solutions Stericycle stock Third TRASH TriTech Veolia Waste yard Year
- Dumpster Diving for Gourmet Pig Feed – Novella Carpenter July 10, 2011
- A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC September 17, 2011
- MythBusters – Dumpster Diving Trailer July 16, 2011
- Kris Kemp: Dumpster Diver August 21, 2011
- What should happen after my character gets beat up? June 6, 2011
- Frugal TV – Dumpster Diving for Coupons June 11, 2011
- Dumpster Dive (Director Commentary) September 24, 2011
- Dumpster Divers Spark Palin Probe September 11, 2011
- Can Opener? We don’t need no stinking can opener! June 19, 2011
- Auburn-Placer 1 yard dumpster June 8, 2011