U.S. toxic chemical releases rise 16% in 2010
* addthis_config is used to set global options.
* ‘services_exclude’ lists all services not to be
* shown in the drop down menus.
* UI API found here: http://www.addthis.com/help/client-api#configuration-ui
* Service List found here: http://www.addthis.com/services/list
Jan. 6 — A total of 3.93 billion pounds of toxic chemicals was released into the environment nationwide in 2010, a 16% increase over 2009, the U.S. EPA said.
The agency released its annual analysis of the Toxics Release Inventory, which includes information on toxic chemical disposals and other releases into the air, land and water. The data is submitted annually to the EPA by multiple industry sectors, including manufacturing, mining, electric utilities and commercial hazardous waste facilities.
The increase is largely a result from changes in the metal mining sector, the EPA said. In this sector, even a small change in the chemical composition of the ore being mined — which EPA understands is one of the reasons for the increase in total reported releases — may lead to big changes in the amount of toxic chemicals reported nationally.
Toxic chemical releases into surface water increased 9% and releases onto land increased 28% over 2009, while total air releases dropped 6%, the EPA said.
“We will continue to put accessible, meaningful information in the hands of the American people,” said EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson, in a statement. “Widespread public access to environmental information is fundamental to the work EPA does every day.”
For more information on the report, visit the EPA online.
Contact Waste & Recycling News reporter Jeremy Carroll at [email protected] or 313-446-6780.
This Year’s Most Popular Stories
From our Blog
- Why You Need a Dumpster September 21, 2016
- Neighborhood Togetherness Matters & Clean Up Does, Too September 19, 2016
- What Waste Should You Recycle And Throw In The Trash? August 3, 2016
- Dumpster Rentals for Business Owners August 1, 2016
- Picking a Dumpster for Your Next Roofing Project July 19, 2016
- Consequences of Illegal Dumping and Littering July 13, 2016
- How To Dispose Of Debris? June 14, 2016
- When Is A Good Time To Clean Out Your Waste? June 13, 2016
- How to Dispose of Construction Waste May 2, 2016
- Why You Should Share Rental Dumpsters With Your Neighbors April 29, 2016
2011 2012 Announces best Call Clean Company Conference Connections Covanta diving dumpster dumpsters Energy Ewaste Garb garbage Harbors Holding Identity Inc. Industry Landfill Management Plant power Present Progressive Recycling Release Rental Reports Republic Second Services Solutions Stericycle stock Third TRASH TriTech Veolia Waste yard Year
- Dumpster Diving for Gourmet Pig Feed – Novella Carpenter July 10, 2011
- A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC September 17, 2011
- MythBusters – Dumpster Diving Trailer July 16, 2011
- Kris Kemp: Dumpster Diver August 21, 2011
- What should happen after my character gets beat up? June 6, 2011
- Frugal TV – Dumpster Diving for Coupons June 11, 2011
- Dumpster Dive (Director Commentary) September 24, 2011
- Dumpster Divers Spark Palin Probe September 11, 2011
- Can Opener? We don’t need no stinking can opener! June 19, 2011
- Auburn-Placer 1 yard dumpster June 8, 2011