Lewisburg, PA (PRWEB) December 29, 2005
The Lexiteria, the world’s leading custom dictionary and word list creator, has announced its top word of the year 2005. The decision was made by The Lexiteria?s staff after polling the visitors to its popular website, alphaDictionary.com. This year?s top word is ?pandemic.?
According to Dr. Robert Beard, the president of The Lexiteria, the company sought a word that stood out in the press, on the Web, and in conversations in the English-speaking world. “Pandemic” replaced the overused and less specific “epidemic” throughout the English press.
“Pandemic stood out because of the threat of a pandemic of the avian flu,” said Beard. “However, the year also saw a pandemic of terrorist attacks in London, New Delhi, Amman, Bali, not to mention a pandemic of hurricanes that has plagued cities all along the US Atlantic and Gulf for several years now.”
The word is made up of two Greek words, pan “all” and demos “people”, the same root found in democracy = people rule “government by the people.” The word epidemic came from Greek epi “on, after” + demos but has come to mean “large-scale outbreak of disease” in English.
The Lexiteria staff decided against new, untried words like “podcast”, “dumpster-diving”, “flexitarian”, “vegan” because it is not clear that they will survive. The electronic revolution has given rise to hundreds of new words that are likely to be replaced in the future.
The Lexiteria is a major provider of custom word lists, word frequency lists, glossaries and dictionaries to the largest US publishing houses, pharmaceutical testing companies, and web companies. It’s language resource website, alphaDictionary.com, offers authentic insights into language, help in spelling and grammar, plus language fun, such as its very popular Yankee-Rebel test.
# # #
Find More Dumpster Diving Press Releases
From our Blog
- Why You Need a Dumpster September 21, 2016
- Neighborhood Togetherness Matters & Clean Up Does, Too September 19, 2016
- What Waste Should You Recycle And Throw In The Trash? August 3, 2016
- Dumpster Rentals for Business Owners August 1, 2016
- Picking a Dumpster for Your Next Roofing Project July 19, 2016
- Consequences of Illegal Dumping and Littering July 13, 2016
- How To Dispose Of Debris? June 14, 2016
- When Is A Good Time To Clean Out Your Waste? June 13, 2016
- How to Dispose of Construction Waste May 2, 2016
- Why You Should Share Rental Dumpsters With Your Neighbors April 29, 2016
2011 2012 Announces best Call Clean Company Conference Connections Covanta diving dumpster dumpsters Energy Ewaste Garb garbage Harbors Holding Identity Inc. Industry Landfill Management Plant power Present Progressive Recycling Release Rental Reports Republic Second Services Solutions Stericycle stock Third TRASH TriTech Veolia Waste yard Year
- Dumpster Diving for Gourmet Pig Feed – Novella Carpenter July 10, 2011
- A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC September 17, 2011
- MythBusters – Dumpster Diving Trailer July 16, 2011
- Kris Kemp: Dumpster Diver August 21, 2011
- What should happen after my character gets beat up? June 6, 2011
- Frugal TV – Dumpster Diving for Coupons June 11, 2011
- Dumpster Dive (Director Commentary) September 24, 2011
- Dumpster Divers Spark Palin Probe September 11, 2011
- Can Opener? We don’t need no stinking can opener! June 19, 2011
- Auburn-Placer 1 yard dumpster June 8, 2011