Question by Bret W: Can i replace my old processor(intel pentium M) wit a new one(AMD 64 dual core)?
i have several computers but only one works and i have been rebuilding it slowly, i got the main computer for free from a dumpster and once i loaded linux to an external drive and ripped out the internal the thing works great, only problem is that it is a little slow and i want to upgrade the processor and RAM, and maybe put a hard drive in it later but that’s no big deal right now. here’s what i know:
it’s a Gateway m320x and it currently has 512mb RAM(ddr1), no internal HDD(but it came with 20 GB IDE), Intel Pentium M 1.5Ghz processor.
i have a semi-new HP laptop laying around and it’s in a hundred thousand pieces, but i know where the processor is and i was wondering if it is possible to take the Intel(blech) out and throw in my AMD with no issues??? if not it’s no big deal but since i plan on going to the comp salvage yard tomorrow i was hoping to hear someone tell me that i can just throw the AMD in it and be on my way. either way i have to buy more RAM cause 512MB even on ubuntu isn’t much
EDIT: odds are that i am gonna try no matter what the general consensus here is, but i wanna ask just so when it decides not to work i’m not surprised
Answer by Vestrinex
The processor sockets are different, so the AMD CPU wouldn’t actually fit.
And if it did, the motherboard’s chipset wouldn’t know what to do with it
I really don’t think you would be able to swap the processors over.
Give your answer to this question below!
From our Blog
- 15 items That You Should Either Recycle Or Thrown In The Trash October 5, 2016
- What to Ask When Looking for a Waste Collection Provider October 3, 2016
- Why You Need a Dumpster September 21, 2016
- Neighborhood Togetherness Matters & Clean Up Does, Too September 19, 2016
- What Waste Should You Recycle And Throw In The Trash? August 3, 2016
- Dumpster Rentals for Business Owners August 1, 2016
- Picking a Dumpster for Your Next Roofing Project July 19, 2016
- Consequences of Illegal Dumping and Littering July 13, 2016
- How To Dispose Of Debris? June 14, 2016
- When Is A Good Time To Clean Out Your Waste? June 13, 2016
2011 2012 Announces best Call Clean Company Conference Connections Covanta diving dumpster dumpsters Energy Ewaste Garb garbage Harbors Holding Identity Inc. Industry Landfill Management Plant power Present Progressive Recycling Release Rental Reports Republic Second Services Solutions Stericycle stock Third TRASH TriTech Veolia Waste yard Year
- Dumpster Diving for Gourmet Pig Feed – Novella Carpenter July 10, 2011
- A Shout Out To Eating Garbage: Dumpster Diving on CBC September 17, 2011
- MythBusters – Dumpster Diving Trailer July 16, 2011
- Kris Kemp: Dumpster Diver August 21, 2011
- What should happen after my character gets beat up? June 6, 2011
- Frugal TV – Dumpster Diving for Coupons June 11, 2011
- Dumpster Dive (Director Commentary) September 24, 2011
- Dumpster Divers Spark Palin Probe September 11, 2011
- Auburn-Placer 1 yard dumpster June 8, 2011
- Can Opener? We don’t need no stinking can opener! June 19, 2011